Dr Aparna Govil Bhasker is a Bariatric and Laparoscopic Surgeon with an overall experience of 14 years. She was one of the first surgeons in India to be accredited by the Surgical Review Corporation (SRC) as a Center for Excellence (COE) surgeon in 2011. She has a keen interest in single-incision surgery and has one of the largest series of single-incision bariatric surgeries in India. She performs both Bariatric as well as General Laparoscopic surgeries with great ease and finesse.
She completed her M.S in General Surgery from a reputed institute in India, after which she went on to do a fellowship in Advanced Laparoscopy and Bariatric Surgery in Mumbai.
She also has a keen interest in clinical research and has completed a diploma on Principles And Practice Of Clinical Research from the Harvard Medical School. She has performed live surgeries at conferences and training programs at the national and international level and also teaches young medical professionals. She has published vital international and national papers and has authored multiple book chapters. She is an executive committee member of Obesity and Metabolic Surgery Society of India (OSSI), Managing Committee member of Association of Medical Consultants Mumbai and IMA Mumbai West. She was a communication committee member in the International Federation for Surgery of Obesity and Metabolic Disorders (IFSO)
14 Years of Experience
- Laparoscopic Bariatric and Metabolic Surgery
- Advanced Laparoscopic Surgery for Gastrointestinal Diseases
- Single Incision Laparoscopic and Bariatric Surgery
- Laparoscopic Hernia Surgery
- Recipient of IFSO scholarship in Buenos Aires, Argentina, September 2008
- First Asian Female Surgeon to be awarded the designation for International Center for Excellence for Bariatric Surgery
- Nominated as one of the best surgeons in Mumbai by Outlook survey 2019.
Dr Aparna Bhasker has published more than 20 articles, some of them are –
- Remedios C 1 , Bhasker AG, Dhulla N, Dhar S, Lakdawala M. Bariatric Nutrition Guidelines for the Indian Population. Obes Surg. 2015 Aug 16. [Epub ahead of print]
- Lakdawala M 1,2 , Limas P 1,3 , Dhar S 1 , Remedios C 1 , Dhulla N 1 , Sood A 1,2 , Bhasker AG. Laparoscopic revision of Roux-en-Y gastric bypass to sleeve gastrectomy: A ray of hope for failed Roux-en-Y gastric bypass. Asian J Endosc Surg. 2016 Mar 4. doi: 10.1111/ases.12277. [Epub ahead of print]
- De Luca M, Angrisani L, Himpens J, Busetto L, Scopinaro N, Weiner R, Sartori A, Stier C, Lakdawala M, Bhasker AG, Buchwald H, Dixon J,Chiappetta S, Kolberg HC, Frühbeck G, Sarwer DB, Suter M, Soricelli E, Blüher M, Vilallonga R, Sharma A, Shikora S. Indications for Surgery for Obesity and Weight-Related Diseases: Position Statements from the International Federation for the Surgery of Obesity and Metabolic Disorders (IFSO). Obes Surg. 2016 Aug;26(8):1659-96
- Dixon JB, Bhasker AG, Lambert GW, Lakdawala M. Leg to leg bioelectrical impedance analysis of percentage fat mass in obese patients-Can it tell us more than we already know? Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2016 Aug;12(7):1397-1402.
- Mahawar KK, Bhasker AG, Bindal V, Graham Y, Dudeja U, Lakdawala M, Small PK. Zinc Deficiency after Gastric Bypass for Morbid Obesity: a Systematic Review. Obes Surg. 2016 Nov 24. [Epub ahead of print]
- Mizelle D’Silva, Aparna Govil Bhasker, Nimisha S. Kantharia, Muffazal Lakdawala. High-Percentage pathological findings in obese patients suggest that esophago-gastro-duodenoscopy should be made mandatory prior to bariatric surgery. Obesity Surgery https://doi.org/10.1007/s11695-018-3230-z
- the Management of Type-2 Diabetes in Severely Obese: Could Ethnicity Play a Role? Obes Surg. 2018 May 10. doi: 10.1007/s11695-018-3294-9. [Epub ahead of print]
- D.Silva M, Bhasker AG, Kantharia NS, Lakdawala M. High-Percentage Pathological Findings in Obese Patients Suggest that Esophago-gastro-duodenoscopy Should Be Made Mandatory Prior to Bariatric Surgery. Obes Surg. 2018 Sep;28(9):2753-2759. doi: 10.1007/s11695-018-3230-z.
- Adil MT, Aminian A, Bhasker AG, Rajan R, Corcelles R, Zerrweck C, Graham Y, Mahawar K. Perioperative Practices Concerning Sleeve Gastrectomy - a Survey of 863 Surgeons with a Cumulative Experience of 520,230 Procedures. Obes Surg. 2020 Feb;30(2):483-492. doi: 10.1007/s11695-019- 4195-7
- Bhandari M 1 , Fobi MAL 2 , Buchwald JN 3 ; and the Bariatric Metabolic Surgery Standardization (BMSS) Working Group: Abbass A, Abu Dayyeh BK, Alamo M, Al-Jarallah M, Angrisani L, Behrens EJ, Bhasker AG, Boza C, Buchwald H, Chevallier JM, Chowbey P, Cummings DE, Dargent J, De Luca M, DeMaria EJ, DePaula A, Dixon J, Dolezalova K, Fried M, Gagner M, Neto MG, Goel R, Greve JW, Herrera MF, Himpens J, Huang CK, Huerta NR, Iordache NN, Jammu GS, Kasama K, Khullar R, Kothari SN, Kow L, Lakdawala M, Lavryk AS, Mahawar K, Mahdy T, Mattar S, Melissas J, Menon V, Mirza Gari MK, Narwaria M, Nimeri A, O'Brien PE, Ospanov OB, Prasad A, Pryor AD, Ramos AC, Ribeiro R, Rosenthal R, Santoro S, Scopinaro N, Sullivan S, Talebpour M, Todkar J, Torres A, Ugale S, Weiner RA, Wittgrove AC, Zundel N. Standardization of Bariatric Metabolic Procedures: World Consensus Meeting Statement. Obes Surg. 2019 Jul;29(Suppl 4):309-345. doi: 10.1007/s11695-019-04032-x.
- Bhasker AG, Prasad A, Raj PP, Wadhawan R, Khaitan M, Agarwal AJ, Tantia O, Baig S, Palaniappan R, Shivram HV, Shah S, Soni V, Bhandari M, Shivahare R, Dhorepatil S, Chowbey P, Narwaria M, Shah S, Khullar R. OSSI (Obesity and Metabolic Surgery Society of India) Guidelines for Patient and Procedure Selection for Bariatric and Metabolic Surgery. Obes Surg. 2020 Mar 3. doi:10.1007/s11695-020-04497-1. [Epub ahead of print]
- Bhasker, A.G., Prasad, A., Raj, P.P. et al. Trends and progress of bariatric and metabolic surgery in India. Updates Surg (2020). https://doi.org/10.1007/s13304-020-00774-x
- Bhasker AG, Greve JW. Are Patients Suffering from Severe Obesity Getting a Raw Deal During COVID-19 Pandemic? [published online ahead of print, 2020 May 12]. Obes Surg. 2020;1-2. doi:10.1007/s11695-020-04677-z
- Sandeep Aggarwal, Kamal Mahawar, Manish Khaitan, Praveen Raj, Randeep Wadhawan, NandaKishore Dukkipati, Kuldeepak S Kular, Arun Prasad, Aparna Govil Bhasker, Vandana Soni, Brijesh Madhok, Sarfaraz Baig, Raj Palaniappan, H. V. Shivaram, Deep Goel, Vivek Bindal, Sukhvinder Saggu, Rajesh Shrivastava, Sumeet Shah, Shrihari Dhorepatil & Rajesh Khullar et al. Obesity and Metabolic Surgery Society of India (OSSI) Recommendations for Bariatric and Metabolic Surgery Practice During the COVID-19 Pandemic. OBES SURG (2020). https://doi.org/10.1007/s11695-020-04940-3
- Goel R, Nasta AM, Goel M, Prasad A, Jammu G, Fobi M, Ismail M, Raj P, Palaniappan R, Aggarwal S, Bindal V, Katakwar A, Vennapusa A, Bhasker AG, Peters A, Goel D, Bedi D, Palep J, Kona L, Mehrotra M, Baijal M, Bhandari M, Dukkipati N, Wadhawan R, Baig S, Pattanshetti S, Ugale S. Complications after bariatric surgery: A multicentric study of 11,568 patients from Indian bariatric surgery outcomes reporting group. J Min Access Surg [Epub ahead of print] [cited 2020 Sep 16]
- Co-author of a chapter on “Complications in Bariatric Surgery” in a book called “Complications after gastro-intestinal Surgery” edited by Dr. Samiran Nundy and Dr. Dirk J. Gouma. The book is published by Oxford University Press in 2017
- Co-author of a chapter on “Management of leaks after sleeve gastrectomy” in a book called “Bariatric Surgical Practice Guide” edited by Dr. Praveen Raj Palanivelu, Dr. Saravana Kumar and Dr. Rachel Gomes. The book is a publication of Springer in 2016.
- Co-author of a chapter on “Asian Experience in Bariatric Surgery” in a book called “Global Bariatric Surgery- Art of weight loss across the borders”, edited by Rami Lutfi, Mariano Palermo and Guy Bernard Cadiere. The book is a publication of Springer in 2018.
She has authored the following books-
- Dear people with love and care your doctors- published by Bloomsbury
- Management of nutritional and metabolic complications after bariatric surgery- published by Springer
- Silver book on Sleeve Gastrectomy- published by Karl Storz